Having so many allergies: Corn allergy is our worst, but we also have bananas, strawberries, nuts, and egg allergies. This limits us on sweets in the house. I have a HUGE sweet tooth, and so my allergy prone son gets that from me. I posted recently about our DIY brownie mix, but we like to change it up to add various toppings and flavors to go with it.
This was extremely easy, but took some time. Not active time, microwaving time.
All we needed was:
- glass bowl ( I don’t microwave plastic)
- can of sweetened condensed milk ( have an idea to make it homemade one day too) We use the kind that only has sugar and milk in the ingredients list.
- something to stir with
- Microwave- though you can also do it stove top, it just will take longer.
Add the Sweetened Condensed milk to the glass bowl and pop it in the microwave. Heat as follows:
- Cook on 50 % power 4 minutes,
- then stir briskly
- Cook on 30% power for 12-18 minutes (until it becomes dark and thick, you will know) I started at 12 and kept adding
- stir briskly every 2 minutes until smooth.
Stir til smooth- see how uhhh, un-smooth it is. Stir and then heat again. Continue this process.
Then you can see it start to change. It is just about ready here. It needed to get just a bit thicker and darker for my liking, but you can stop anytime based on your own preference.
Then add it to top off a sweet dessert. I was trying to be slick and not let the kids wake up hearing me do this. So sorry it is dark. But man was it yummy!
Feel free to Pin and Share these pictures. It was really easy to do, tasted great, and was safe for my little man to have. We had to avoid it with baby girl because of her dairy allergy, but she doesn’t know what she is missing yet. There is hope she will out grow it as the other 2 did.
Have you ever tried making Homemade Caramel? What method did you use? How did it turn out? What would you do different?